Monday, February 20, 2012

Purple Wafer Paper Fantasy Flowers

wafer-paper-flowers-cake-chocolate-fiddlehead-ferns-deborah-stauch
A simple birthday cake for my sweet sister-in-law.
Purple fantasy flowers and leaves from wafer paper with chocolate fondant fern coils.
The inside was Devil's Food with espresso butter cream all covered in dark chocolate ganache.
We waited three days to cut it and it was much moister than I expected. Almost gooey.
I guess that ganache is great for sealing in moisture. Nice to know.

The cake rode for about 5 hours on the front seat of the car in pouring rain with no major mishaps.
Just a little slippage on what became the back side that I managed to repair a bit before it went under the knife.

Hope you all had a relaxing and enjoyable long weekend!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

simply gorgeous! you are an artist.

PDX said...

Beautifully done! I like how you did the leaves -- they look so pretty w/the flowers, and I like the chocolate curlicues, too. : )

Deborah Stauch said...

Thank you for such nice comments!

Kerry said...

Very lovely. I definitely want to try working with wafer paper after slipping through your blog. Is this the same as rice paper in the supermarket? How do you add color if moisture warps the paper? Do tell.

Deborah Stauch said...

Kerry: I haven't been able to find this kind of rice paper in my local supermarkets but perhaps you live in an area that carries it. It is not the rice paper wrappers. Those are much too thick. Color is added sparingly with alcohol that evaporates quickly or via airbrush.